Clay Station (Clay)
Burleson County, TX

Status: Located
Year Established: 1903
Council of Governments: BVCOG
Public History: Clay, originally known as Clay Station, on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway eight miles southeast of Snook in southeastern Burleson County, was founded as a stop on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway in the early 1880s. The town was named for local landowner A. M. Clay, who donated the tract on which the GC&SF depot was constructed. A post office was set up in 1884. In 1903 W. A. Lyon opened a general merchandise store, one of at least two in the early community. In 1911 a school was established. It was consolidated with the Snook Independent School District in 1949. Clay reported a population of 150 in 1925. In 1945 the community had a population estimated at 100 and four accredited businesses. The post office was discontinued during the 1960s, and by 1970 the town had declined to an estimated population of sixty-one and two businesses. In 1990 and 2000 Clay still had an estimated population of sixty-one. By 2007 the community had between 150 and 175 residents.
https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/clay-tx
Community History: Clay Station, alternatively known as Clay, is in the extreme southeastern portion of Burleson County. In 1884, the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railway, a subsidiary of Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe, built a combination freight shed and passenger depot that made the town a part of the country’s rail network. The railway was a hub of activity, transforming Clay Station into a small boomtown. The town was named for local landowner A. M. Clay, whose family enslaved people in Burleson County and Washington County. He was one of the early and prosperous planters in Clay Station, owning 1600 acres of land (including the land donated for the train depot) and numerous horses and cattle.
Although the physical demands of working on the railroad were hard and the work was dangerous, the jobs offered Clay Station residents a better alternative over sharecropping and domestic work. Southern railroads recruited the steady supply of African Americans available in the work force and habitually paid them less than white workers. Positions exclusive to the race were physically intensive jobs like track building and maintenance.
Small business became another major source of economic development in Clay Station, despite segregation. The enormously successful Austin Walton (b. 1883) was considered the most successful African American businessman and proprietor in town. His family, who came from North Carolina, was known to own substantial acreage of land in both Clay Station and nearby Wilcox. He used his skill set and resources to take advantage of several employment and business development opportunities. Walton obtained permits to establish businesses that included a general store and dance hall, thus providing employment for residents. Railroad workers who lived and worked temporarily in the camps heavily patronized his businesses. He was also the first African American U.S. Postmaster in Clay. He also donated land to build a community park where he hosted annual rodeos, Negro County fairs, and cultural activities like the annual Juneteenth celebration.
During the era of Negro Baseball Leagues, a group of Clay men formed their own team called the Clay Black Cats, promoted and sponsored by Walton. A 1933 article in The Caldwell News and The Burleson County Ledger described the Blacks Cats “as one of the strongest Negro teams in this section of Texas whose games charmed hundreds of black and white fans as well.”
Clay Station at one time was home to three denominations: a Baptist church, an AME Methodist church, and Church of God in Christ (COGIC). The Pleasant Home Missionary Baptist Church was the oldest entity, organized in 1903. Rev. W. H. Brooks was the first pastor.
The Clay Colored School, first organized in 1879, was originally located three miles away at Sand Pitt in a little church known as Little Elm. The school later relocated to Clay Station. Clay Colored School was a center of pride where many students went on to earn college degrees and settle into successful careers.
Family names include: Evans, Morgan, Walton, Finley, Flowers, Heard, Jackson, Jones, Nickerson, Scott, Pool
Cemetery: Clay Cemetery
Church: Pleasant Home Baptist Church/Pleasant Home Missionary Baptist Church
School: Clay Colored School