Peyton (Peyton Colony/Boardhouse)
Blanco County, TX

Status: Located
Year Established: 1865
Council of Governments: CAPCOG
Public History: “Mount Horeb Church built 1917
Peyton Colony School adjacent”
Mount Horeb Church: “Established 1874 under the Rev. Jack Burch. Members built a log cabin which served as a church and school, on land donated by Jim Upshaw (Upshear).” (via FaceBook page “Mt. Horeb Baptist Church in Peyton Colony, Blanco County, Texas”)
“Provided by TSHA:
Peyton (Payton), formerly known as Peyton Colony and Board House (Boardhouse), is near Boardhouse Creek just west of the junction of Farm roads 165 and 2325, seven miles east of Blanco in southeastern Blanco County. The settlement was called Freedman’s Colony by White inhabitants of the area, when it was founded around 1865 by Peyton Roberts, an exslave from Lockhart, who had acquired public land there by preemption. Other freedmen followed suit, and though preemption technically ended in 1876, land patents in the area continued to be issued as late as 1880. In 1872 or 1874 the first church in the area was built on land donated by Jim Upshear, who had come with his wife to Peyton by wagon train from Virginia. Also built was a small log schoolhouse. A post office operated in Peyton from 1898 to 1909. Another post office operated from 1918 to 1930, but it was officially named Board House because it was located in A. V. Walker’s board house, the first in the community. Though Board House has not appeared on Texas maps since then, Peyton still existed in the 1990s and housed the descendants of many of the original settlers. Community life centered around the Mount Horeb Baptist Church. In 2000 the population was thirty.
Other links: http://www.texasescapes.com/TexasHillCountryTowns/Peyton-Colony-Texas.htm”
Community History: There are no current community descriptions of Peyton. Please consider sharing your own knowledge of the community with us.
Church: Mount Horeb Baptist Church
School: Peyton Colony School