Alpha

Dallas County, TX




Status:
Located

Year Established: Unknown

Council of Governments: NCTCOG

Public History: Mount Pisgah Missionary Baptist Church, affectionately known as “The Rock,” and established in 1864, is the oldest African American church in Dallas County. The church was named for the mountain peak from which Moses viewed the promised land. Reverend Robert F. Butler, a White circuit preacher, and a few enslaved people gathered in June 1864 under an elm tree in the White Rock Settlement on Billie Wilburn’s Farm. The founders held church services despite their enslavement, including John Huffman, Dan Howard, Sam Fowler, William Phifer, Tobe Howard and Jack Saunders. After slavery was abolished, freedmen bought land, built homes and established churches and schools. Mount Pisgah’s membership grew and congregants traveled up to five miles to attend services. The congregation met under a brush arbor and by June 1888 voted to purchase land along the waters of White Rock Creek. The first building was a long, narrow frame structure. Picnics were held on the grounds and baptisms took place in various ponds, located near White Rock Union Graveyard, at present-day Coit at North Central Expressway, and at Sowell’s Farm at present-day Spring Valley at Montfort. As membership continued to grow, the church built a new structure on this site, which was completed in 1945 and constructed of rocks hauled by church members from Jacksboro. By the early 1980s, the congregation outgrew their location and purchased a church complex on Webb Chapel Road. Through partnerships with community and worldwide groups, Mount Pisgah has helped others by providing scholarships, services to homeless populations, school supplies, assistance to food banks and funding for a water well in Ghana. Located on South Sherman Street in Richardson, Mount Pisgah continues to grow while it supports and influences its community and lands abroad through its faith. (2019)

https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/alpha-tx
Alpha was on Preston Road (now State Highway 289) and Alpha Road four miles west of Richardson at a site now inside Dallas, in northern Dallas County. It was originally a freedmen’s community that developed out of Farmers Branch and was on the principal route of transportation between Farmers Branch and Garland. A post office operated in Alpha from 1893 until 1904. E. C. Bramlett opened the first general store in 1895, and by 1933 the community had two businesses. The population was 111 in 1904 but decreased to fifty in 1933, where it remained in 1987, the last year it was listed as a community.

Community History: There are no current community descriptions of Alpha. Please consider sharing your own knowledge of the community with us.

Church: Mount Pisgah Missionary Baptist Church