Cozy Corner (Post Oak)
Fayette County, TX
Status: Located
Year Established: 1870
Council of Governments: CAPCOG
Public History: The Cozy Corner Community, located approximately five miles south of La Grange in the area around the intersection of FM Roads 155 and 3233, is one of two Freedom Colonies in Fayette County, the other being the Armstrong Colony, located in the western part of the county.
This autonomous unincorporated community was established in the 1870s by emancipated slaves and their descendants from the Mullins Prairie, Holman and Ammannsville areas that had been occupied by large landowners prior to the Civil War. One of these landowners was Dr. John P. Brown, who had a plantation that encompassed the Mullins Prairie area. These freedmen, many of whom were sharecroppers, tenant farmers and day laborers, wanted to own land and thrive in an area that was independent of an already developed white community.
The Cozy Corner community first had two designated areas with different names because of its topography. The lower area that is contiguous with Mullins Prairie was called “The Prayer”, a dialectal form of “The Prairie”. Much of that area has been excavated for sand and gravel in more recent times. The upper wooded area was called “Post Oak”, because of the abundance of trees of that genus.
The name “Cozy Corner”, which eventually replaced the other two names, was derived from the name of a local café built by Floyd Homer in 1947. The cafe was located across the road from the Little Bethel Cemetery that is located at the “Y” of FM Road 3233 and George Rd. One of Mr. Homer’s waitresses named the café. It burned in 1952.
Prior to the improvements made to the farm-to-market road going from La Grange to Weimar, the original road curved through the community on what is now a connecting small loop called Cozy Corner Road between FM Roads 3233 and 155 that now passes to the east.
Before the establishment of this Freedom Colony, area Anglo landowners had built the Methodist Episcopal Church South with an adjacent cemetery on 15 acres of land in 1855. A slave cemetery was established on the northwest part of this property.
After the Civil War and emancipation, many of the Anglos moved elsewhere. Eventually, much of the wooded land in the upper section called Post Oak was sold in small parcels to some of the area European immigrant settlers for the wood that it could provide for building and heating, or to black sharecroppers who had saved enough money to buy a few acres.
Because their faith had sustained them through their previous trials and tribulations, it was important for members of the community to establish their own church, so they purchased 14 of the 15 acres owned by the Methodist Episcopal Church South and created the Bethlehem African Methodist Episcopal Church, more commonly known as “Big Bethel”. The other remaining one acre encompasses the white cemetery. Initially, their early burials were near the white cemetery, but eventually they established a new cemetery closer to their church, because a deep ravine prevented easy access; that cemetery now surrounds the present AME Church on three sides. The church and cemetery are located off FM 3233.
Community History: There are no current community descriptions of Cozy Corner. Please consider sharing your own knowledge of the community with us.
Cemetery: Bethlehem Cemetery or Little Bethel Cemetery
Church: Bethlehem African Methodist Episcopal Church
School: Lane Pool Colored School, Brown Colored School, Mullins Prairie Colored School and the Tin Top Colored School