Plum Creek

Freestone County, TX




Status:
Located

Year Established: Unknown

Council of Governments: HOTCOG

Public History: (From the TSHA) Plum Creek is one mile south of Farm Road 489 and eleven miles southeast of Dew in southeast Freestone County. Abe Jones, a black man who had a gin and a store in the area, lived at Plum Creek. A church was organized in 1887, and in 1891 a school was started. In 1899 forty-eight Black and thirty-five White students were enrolled in separate Plum Creek schools. In the 1930s the community had a business, a church, a school, a cemetery, and a number of scattered dwellings. In the 1960s Brown Chapel, Trahin School, Plum Creek Cemetery, and a few scattered dwellings marked the site. By the late 1980s Plum Creek was no longer shown on maps.

Community History: Gabriel Brown was brought to Texas at the age of 13 when he was enslaved. He married a lady named Ann. They had 8 children and accumulated 1,000 acres of land. Cemetery for Plum Creek is called Brown Chapel cemetery. It is very well-maintained. There is a plaque honoring Ann Jones Brown. The oldest marked grave is for Jase Hayes, unk – 1859. It is across an active church called Brown Chapel AME Church.

Cemetery: Brown Chapel Cemetery; Plum Creek Cemetery