Sand Hill Colony
Freestone County, TX
Status: Located
Year Established: Unknown
Council of Governments: HOTCOG
Public History: Sand Hill is a dispersed rural community a mile north of Farm Road 489 and six miles north of Butler in southeast Freestone County. It once had a school, which had thirty-nine black pupils in 1893 and seventeen in 1903. In the 1930s the community consisted of a school and a number of scattered dwellings, and by the 1960s four churches, including the Pilgrim’s Rest and Pine Hill churches, a cemetery, and a number of dwellings existed. In the late 1980s the churches remained.
Community History: 1893
Cemetery: Sand Hill Cemetery