Elderville (Brown’s Settlement, Brown’s Bluff, Colonel Brown Community, Iron Bridge)

Gregg County, TX




Status:
Located

Year Established: Unknown

Council of Governments: ETCOG

Public History: Elderville is off State Highway 322 just west of the Gregg County Airport in southeastern Gregg County. It was established in the late 1840s and named for one Colonel Brown, an early settler. Portions of the extended community were known at various times as Brown’s Settlement, Brown’s Bluff, or the Colonel Brown Community. A post office called Brown’s Bluff opened there in 1874. Around 1875 its name was changed to Iron Bridge and in 1887 to Elderville. By 1890 the community had a steam gristmill, a cotton gin, three churches, two schools, a general store, and an estimated population of 200. By the early 1920s Elderville reported ninety-six inhabitants and four businesses. After World War II much of the area became part of the Gregg County Airport. In the early 1990s Elderville was a dispersed rural community.

Community History: Established in the late 1840s and named for Colonel Brown, an early settler. A post office called Brown’s Bluff opened there in 1874. By 1890 the community had a steam gristmill, a cotton gin, three churches, two schools, a general store, and a population of 200. After WWII much of the area became Gregg County Airport.