Mount Pleasant
Harris County, TX
Status:
Year Established: 1876
Council of Governments: H-GAC
Public History: Inscription on Historical Marker:
Houston’s Fifth Ward developed primarily after the Civil War, when freedmen came to the area. In 1866, an alderman represented the ward, comprised of Anglo and African Americans, in the city’s government. The earliest institutions were churches, including Mount Pleasant Baptist Church, which grew out of Mount Zion Baptist Church. The Mount Zion church moved across Buffalo Bayou after its sanctuary burned. Some church members had to cross the bayou on skiffs for worship, and a group decided to form a new church, Mount Pleasant Baptist Church, closer to home. In a one-room store in 1876, the Rev. George W. Booker led his wife, Lizzie, Abe and Patsy Gray, Nathan and Susan Ann Johnson, and Sarah Scott in services. These seven men and women purchased a lot on Liberty Street, now known as Rothwell, and built a brush arbor there. Many joined Mount Pleasant Baptist Church after a revival, and within a short time, after raising funds at festivals and suppers, the church built a wooden sanctuary. The first sanctuaries were destroyed by storms and a fire. After each disaster, church men and women salvaged building materials for their next sanctuary. The Rev. George Booker resigned in 1908 and was followed by the Rev. Joe J. James. During his pastorate, the Women’s Missionary Society organized and became a part of church leadership. In the 1940s, the City of Houston bought the church’s land for highway construction. The church purchased land at Solo and Hershe Streets from the Clay and Clay funeral directors and began to build a new sanctuary. The members held their first services in the new house of worship in 1951. With only five pastors during its first 125 years, Mount Pleasant Baptist Church maintains the traditions of its founding members, with generations of area families still serving and ministering to the Fifth Ward community. (2002) Incising on back: PASTORS REV. GEORGE W. BOOKER (1876-1908) REV. JOE J. JAMES (1909-1931) REV. HOWARD O. SCOTT (1932-1959) REV. ACY DOYAL McCRAW (1959-2000) REV. ROY LEE JACKSON (2000- )
Community History: From Mt Pleasant Baptist Church Our History webpage:
Mount Pleasant Baptist Church was organized in the later part of 1876 with 7 people in attendance. This small group bargained to buy one lot at the site, 2727 Rothwell and later a second lot. A fragile structure, called a “”brush arbor””, was built first. Later, an ordinary building was erected. Church structures on this site were destroyed twice by storms and once by fire but the members persevered each time by rebuilding and/or remodeling.
The church took on new growth and the membership began to work again as in the former years. We purchased a new site, one block containing six lots, at the corner of Hershe and Solo Streets. In August 1949, we completed the Educational Building. Services were held there until the entrance into the present building on Sunday, October 7, 1951. In celebration of paying off the church mortgage debt, the church mortgage was burned in August, 1956.
Mount Pleasant’s eminent history and God-sanctioned existence, has been blessed with only six (6) Pastors to-date, to include: Rev. George W. Booker (1876-1908); Rev. Joe J. James Sr. (1909-1931); Rev. Howard 0. Scott (1932-1959); Rev. Acy D. McCraw (August 24,1959-June 21, 2000); Rev. Roy L. Jackson (September 18, 2000-April 25, 2020) and Rev. Dr. Nico S. Mathews (October 1, 2021 – ).”””
Church: Mount Pleasant Baptist Church