Elysian Fields
Harrison County, TX
Status: Located – Needs More Research
Year Established: Unknown
Council of Governments: ETCOG
Public History: There are no current descriptions related to Elysian Fields in the public record. If you are aware of any sources that we may have missed please share them with us.
Community History: From church article:
“The Elysian Fields Baptist Church started from house to house prayer meetings with only a few people. The small unorganized group was often found in houses at night praying around a pot to protect their voices from their masters. When the war began, the white people brought their slaves to their churches to worship, to help protect them from their enemies. When freedom began to break, they gave the slaves one Sunday to worship in their churches. They were guided by the Holy Spirit, they sang and prayed in the best way they had been taught, without a song book or a Bible.”
In October 1866, the Elysian Fields Baptist Church was organized by a white preacher, Rev. Knox. Five acres of land was deeded to the organized group of worshipers; which they purchased from Mr. Alvin Cooke.”
“The Church was rebuilt in 1920 under Pastorage of Rev. J.J. Goodwyn giving 21 years of his service until approximately 1936.”
First Pastor – Rev. Billy Freeman.
Other Pastors following:
-Rev. Nedd Jones;
-Rev. Sam Sanders;
-Rev. Bryant Wright;
First known Deacons:
-B.A. Grimes;
-A.A. Jernigan;
-George Fortman;
-T.M. Head;
-E.D. Newsome;
-W. Walls;
-S.J. Jackson.
See attached article for pastors between 1868 and 1920 and Deacons after 1920.
Cemetery: Elysian Fields