Moore Station (Moorestation)

Henderson County, TX




Status:
Located

Year Established: 1876

Council of Governments: ETCOG

Public History: Moore Station is on Farm Road 314 a mile south and three miles west of Lake Palestine, some eighteen miles east of Athens in southeastern Henderson County. Anderson and Lucinda Moore, for whom the town is believed to have been named, were a pioneer family in the area; according to one source, they were former slaves. In 1876 they donated a plot of land for a Methodist church and for a school. The church and school made up the original Moore Station. In the 1930s and 1940s a church, several homes, and three businesses were reported there. The population was reported as twenty in 1930 and 1940. It was estimated at 268 in 1980, 355 in 1982, and 256 in 1990

Community History: Moore Station is an active community that holds fourth of July celebrations, homecomings, and annual car shows. It is a city that has a mayor and a fire station. A historical marker is being developed for the former school and gym which is in disrepair. There is a large active cemetery that is well-maintained – Bethel cemetery on Co Rd 4231. Directions should be .1 mile south of Coffee City on FM 315, turn east on County road 4231 at the location of the Bethel AME Church, go one mile to dead end of the road. Pictured are Stanley Cofer and his father, Ira Cofer.

Cemetery: Bethel Cemetery

Church: Bethel

School: Central High