Shady Grove
Panola County, TX
Status: Located
Year Established: Unknown
Council of Governments: ETCOG
Public History: Shady Grove, a farming community on Farm Road 1186 ten miles northeast of Carthage in northeastern Panola County, developed around a Baptist church established before 1880. In 1907 the church was replaced by a new structure that remained in use until 1954. An intermediate school was established in 1912, and in 1913 it was reclassified as a two-year high school. In the mid-1930s the Shady Grove community included a church, a school, a cemetery, and a number of houses. During the 1940s the school was consolidated with that of Carthage. After World War II many of the residents moved away, but in the mid-1960s a church, a cemetery, and a few scattered houses remained. In the early 1990s Shady Grove was a dispersed rural community.
Community History: There are no current community descriptions of Shady Grove. Please consider sharing your own knowledge of the community with us.
Cemetery: Shady Grove Baptist Church Cemetery
Church: Shady Grove Baptist Church
School: Shady Grove School