Lanes Chapel
Smith County, TX
Status: Located
Year Established: Unknown
Council of Governments: ETCOG
Public History: There are no current descriptions related to Lanes Chapel in the public record. If you are aware of any sources that we may have missed please share them with us.
Community History: “From TSHA’s Handbook of Texas: “”Lanes Chapel was on Farm Road 850 near Horseshoe Lake, a mile north of Chapel Hill, just west of the Chapel Hill oilfield, and four miles east of Tyler in eastern Smith County. The Lanes Chapel Colored (now Christian) Methodist Church was established there in September 1870. The community was shown on the 1936 county highway map as Lane Church, a school, and a small collection of dwellings on a graded and drained metal-surfaced road. Around this time the Lanes Chapel School had one teacher and forty-one black elementary-level students. By 1952 the school had been consolidated into the Chapel Hill Independent School District, which in 1969 local students still attended. In 1973 the community included Lanes Chapel Church, New Zion Church, and a few scattered farms. By 1981, however, it was considered to be part of Chapel Hill and was no longer specifically identified on maps.””
This Lanes Chapel is not to be confused with the Lanes Chapel United Methodist Church south of Tyler.”
Church: Lanes Chapel