Lee Springs

Smith County, TX




Status:
Located

Year Established: 1892

Council of Governments: ETCOG

Public History: There are no current descriptions related to Lee Springs in the public record. If you are aware of any sources that we may have missed please share them with us.

Community History: Lee Spring (Lee’s Springs) was on the Palestine-Tyler road two and a half miles west of Gresham and one and a half miles east of Noonday in southwestern Smith County. The settlement was founded as early as 1892 when residents organized the Lee Spring Baptist Church. In 1936, Lee Spring elementary school had two teachers and sixty-three black students. In 1949 the Lee Springs School for black students had grades 1-4. The teacher/principal of the school was Mrs. Berma Dews Ford (July 3, 1901-Dec. 7, 1982) who lived in Flint, Texas. She was united in marriage to Mr. Crawford Ford. By 1952, it had been consolidated into Noonday Independent School District, which by 1969 had been absorbed into the Bullard Independent School District.

Cemetery: Lee Springs Cemetery

School: Lee Springs Baptist Church