Waters Park (Waters, Watters)

Travis County, TX




Status:
Located

Year Established: Unknown

Council of Governments: CAPCOG

Public History: The community appears on Travis County maps as Watters in 1892–1902 and in 1932. The 1932 Topographic and Road Map Travis County identifies the “Summit Negro School” slightly northwest of Watters. By 1958, the area was identified as Waters Park. The Summit School is included in the TCHC’s African American Rural Schools of Travis County report. According to one of the interviewees for the report, the school address was 3605 Adelphi Lane (still an existing road in the community), and the school included instruction through the eighth grade. .. At one time the school building burned down, and classes were moved to the St. Stephen’s Missionary Baptist Church. St. Stephen’s Missionary Baptist Church remains an active congregation today on Amherst Drive near its original location. The existing church building was erected in 1978, but the congregation has a lengthy history in the area and was established through the efforts of the St. John Regular Missionary Baptist Association.

Community History: There are no current community descriptions of Waters Park. Please consider sharing your own knowledge of the community with us.