Sandies

Wharton County, TX




Status:
Located

Year Established: Unknown

Council of Governments: H-GAC

Public History: https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/HRSNW

Community History: “Sandies, TX was located east of FM Road 710 , along CR 382, near Sandy Creek. Referred to as the “”The Colony””, Sandies was in NW Wharton County10 miles north of Ganado, TX.

In 1905 Sandies had 1 local school with 35 pupils and 1 teacher. In 1926 it had 30 pupils and 1 teacher. The school was annexed to Louise in 1937. Highway maps in 1936 showed a school, church, and dwellings at the town. In the 1980s the church remained, but is now gone. Recently Google Maps still listed Sandies Church (Lat/Lon 29.166454, -96.520994), but has been removed.

Cemeteries-of-tx.com notes Sandies Memorial Cemetery is still located south of the Sandies Church site on private land,. The website lists the names on the 31 markers in the cemetery (image uploaded here). It notes the cemetery has grown up and a few of the markers have sunk into the ground. The oldest grave markers are 1911 and several in the early 1900’s. The cemetery survey was done by Sammy Tise on February 11, 1995., Sandies, TX was located east of FM Road 710 , along CR 382, near Sandy Creek. Referred to as the “”The Colony””, Sandies was in NW Wharton County10 miles north of Ganado, TX.

Cemetery: Sandies Memorial Cemetery

Church: Sandies Church

School: Sandies School (35 pupils/1 teacher 1905; annexed to Louise 1937)